Saturday, February 23, 2013

Bee Tree

December 8, 2013


     Received a phone call from my daughter, her husband had fallen a oak tree for firewood, soon to discover,  that it was once home to a happy hive of bee's. My daughter wondered if I wanted to come down and try to collect the now unhappy swarm. So I got on the phone and called a friend who at that time had a similiar amount of beekeeping experience, which back in December was 7 months. I explained the situation to her and asked if she wanted to be involved in the experience. My son-in-law was nice enough to cut the tree in half for us and only encountered one sting to the back of his neck. Then we spent the next 2 hours trying to collect as many combs of honey as possible. We collected about 6 total combs of honey and were not sure if we were able to get the queen or not. Had a great time and was a wonderful experience for a couple of newbies. Thank you to my daughter and son-in-law.

No comments:

Post a Comment